Madelia, Minn. – It won’t be long until school buses are on the streets and our calendars are full of school activities. The Madelia Community Hospital & Clinic is reminding parents to make sure that their child is current on all necessary immunizations, and that student athletes are up-to-date on their sports physicals.
Immunizations: Children in child care and grades preK through 12 now call for:
- Hepatitis A (Hep A) and Hepatitis B (Hep B) vaccination for children enrolling in child care or early childhood programs.
- Rotavirus (RV), Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib), and Pneumococcal (PCV) for infants
- Diphtheria, Pertussis, Tetanus (Dtap/DT/T-dap) vaccinations.
- Polio (IPV) and Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) vaccinations
- Varicella if a child has not already had the chickenpox disease.
- Meningococcal vaccine (MCV) and booster is required for secondary students, beginning in seventh grade.
Human Papillomavirus (HPV) immunizations are recommended for boys and girls starting at age 11 (about 7th grade). Given in a series of three shots, this vaccine prevents most cervical cancer and certain types of other cancers. Annual influenza immunizations are also recommended each fall for children age 6 months and older and their parents.
“Childhood vaccinations are an important part of keeping the people of our community healthy. They protect us against many potentially serious diseases,” said Cameron Ryer, Nurse Practitioner. If your child has fallen behind on their vaccinations, or you have any questions about his or her immunization needs, check with your medical provider.
Sports Physicals: Through August 30, MCHC is offering free sports physicals for athletes that attend Lake Crystal Wellcome Memorial, Madelia, St. James or Truman high schools. The Minnesota State High School League requires all student athletes entering grades seven or ten, or those who are just starting to play sports for the first time to have a sports physical. Prior to coming for the appointment, athletes should print, complete, and sign the Minnesota State High School League (MSHSL) Sports Physical Form. The form is available on the MSHSL website at https://bit.ly/2XVBkvh. A link can also be found on the MCHC website under the Events tab.
Appointments for physicals or immunizations can be made at the Madelia Community Hospital & Clinic by calling 507.642.5200.