Dr. Emily Birkholz, Ophthalmologist, is performing surgeries at the Madelia Community Hospital & Clinic on Fridays. She specializes in cataract surgery and functional eyelid surgeries.
Emily S. (Anderson) Birkholz is a native of St. James and alumni of Minnesota State University, Mankato where she played basketball for the Mavericks. She earned her medical degree from the University of Minnesota Medical School and was elected into the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor society for being top in her class. She completed a one-year internship at Gundersen Lutheran Hospital in LaCrosse, Wisconsin and completed her ophthalmology residency at the University of Iowa, one of the top programs in the country. Emily joined Ophthalmology Associates in 2011, is Board Certified in Ophthalmology and a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology. She does clinic appointments in St. James and Mankato.
As an independent, critical access hospital, the Madelia Community Hospital & Clinic (MCHC) can offer many surgeries and services in Madelia that are not offered at other local hospitals. Veterans are welcome at MCHC for procedures and surgeries after they have received a referral from their primary care provider at the VA.
Although MCHC offers high quality health care services, the fact remains that Madelia’s location and population makes it impossible to offer every specialized medical service and procedure all of the time. Therefore, we partner with highly trained, specialized physicians from other facilities who come to Madelia regularly. MCHC benefits from their experience and specialized training, without the burden of maintaining full-time staff and facilities for less than a full-time need. In addition to Dr. Birkholz, the following physicians come to MCHC on a regular basis:
- Dr. Karl Papierniak performs general surgical procedures at MCHC once a week. His special interests include surgical treatment of breast disorders, hernia, abdominal, and laparoscopic surgery including colonoscopies and endoscopies. For more information contact: Dona Rehome, Marketing Director 507.642.5225
- Dr. Michael Enrico, an OB/GYN physician, takes appointments at MCHC every other Thursday. He sees patients for their general gynecology needs, vaginal ultrasounds, contraception, minimally invasive surgeries and some same day surgeries.
- Tim Klassen, Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA), sees patients at MCHC and performs Pain Management procedures at every Thursday. He does a wide range of nonnarcotic pain management procedures ranging from joint injections to spinal injections.
- Dr. Steven Wachter, a Podiatrist, schedules appointments with patients at MCHC.
- Dr. Gary Goldberg, a Urologist, sees patients at MCHC once a month for urinary incontinence, kidney stones, urinary dysfunction, and urologic cancers.
- Dr. Todd Gavin is a board certified Ophthalmologist. He performs eye surgeries like cataract removal and eyelid lifts in the hospital on Mondays.
The clinic at MCHC has four Family Medicine providers – Dr. Marc Wilkinson, Physician Assistant Katy Eisenmenger-Fuentes, Nurse Practitioner Pat Fahey-Bacon, and Nurse Practitioner Cameron Ryer. Last summer we also added Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, Sarah Martinson to our list of Clinic providers. To make an appointment with any of our Clinic providers, please call the Clinic at 507.642.5200.